The Ministry of Economics and Trade, the General Directorate of Economic and Trades, and the Intellectual Property Protection department – Trademarks Division, in attempt to develop the trademarks registration procedure, has adopted a new online filing system as of February 2013.
Accordingly, no more hard copies are required to be submitted in order to obtain a filing date and a filing number; however, the new system has added new requirements, which are identified below:
- Applicant details must be entered in Arabic characters and English characters;
- Applications should include Arabic transliteration of the trademark;
- Trademark name and design must be supplied as PDF file even if it is a word mark, and
- Full name and capacity of the signatory on the power of attorney (PoA) must be clearly indicated on the application.
- Faster filing procedure;
- Elimination of typos; and
- Time saving measure by omitting the need to submit hard copies of the application by person.
The benefits of the newly established system are:
In the light of the above, we kindly require our valuable clients to indicate the name and position of the person who signs the PoA, needless to remind that simply signing of the PoA is sufficient.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact us at [email protected].