|OUR CLIENT’S REGISTERED MARKS||OPPONENT’S SPOTTED MARK|
ABU DHABI – Our client, Adeeb Derawan Sons Company (Al Marai), a Syrian factory, is the legal owner of the registered trademarks HANA “in Latin and Arabic Latin” in class 29 in the UAE under registration numbers 198723 and 103060.
It came to our attention, through our Watching Department, that an application for HANA in Latin and Arabic characters in class 29 was filed in UAE on 19 October 2016 by applicant Al Seer Group and was assigned the serial number 261640 (the Opposed Mark), which was then published in the Official Gazette as number 174 dated 29 March 2017.
Acting on behalf of our client, we filed an opposition against the Opposed Mark based on the following:
- Our client is a well-known company manufacturing foodstuff products in class 29 since 1994;
- The similarity between both marks in terms of appearance, pronunciation, and products;
- Prior several registrations of HANA by our client in the home country and abroad since 2008, including the UAE;
- Prior use of HANA by our client, and
- Our client’s mark falls under the category of well-known trademarks.
After full litigation, the Registrar issued its decision by granting our opposition and removing the Opposed Mark from the trademark registry.
For more information, please contact [email protected].