Due to the issuance of the new Patent and Utility Model Law, No. 2004, the Bahrain Patent Office (BPO) had ceased to receive any patent application from January 28, 2004 until the promulgation of the Implementing Regulations.
As of June 14, 2006 the BPO has resumed receiving patent and utility model applications.
The main aspects of the new Law are:
- Patent duration is 20 years instead of 15 years earlier.
- Utility Models are protected for 10 years, which was not available before.
Payment of annuities:
- Annuities are to be paid after filing, calculated as of the filing or priority date.
- Previously there were no maintenance fees to be paid for patents.
Patent filing requirements:
- Simply signed power of attorney.
- The full particulars of the applicant.
- The title of the patent and a summary description of the invention.
- Photocopy of patent application from home/ foreign country.
- Certified copy of priority document.
- Specification claims and three sets of the formal drawings with Arabic thereto.