A new Trademark & Geographical Indications Law has been issued on 22 November 2010 by a decree from the President Ali Abedllah Saleh. The said law will become effective after three months from its issuance, that is, February 22, 2011.
This law is drafted to cope with the rapid economic changes in the international arena, and will encompass new procedures, definitions, provisions and regulations regarding trademarks and geographical indications.
The main features of the new law can be summarized as follows:
- The opposition period will be reduced to three months instead of 6 months.
- A grace period of one year to renew registered trademarks in stead of three months as previously applied.
- New provisions regarding the protection of geographical indications.
- Special clauses regarding recording assignment and license agreements.
- Tough penalties for infringement & illegal use.