|OUR CLIENT’S MARKS||OPPONENT’S REGISTERED MARK|
DOHA – On 1 August 2018, we filed a trademark application for registration on behalf of our client, Toptan Evi Ic Ve Dis Ticaret Limited Sirketi, for Nosor Baladna in Qatar in class 29. The application was assigned number 116275 and then published in the Official Gazette on 7 February 2018.
Baladna Company for Animal Products (a Qatari company) filed an opposition against our client’s application on the following grounds:
- Similarity between our client’s mark and their registered trademarks “Baladna” in several countries and classes including class 29;
- Prior registration and extensive use of the brand “Baladna” world-wide including Qatar, and
- That allowing the registration of our client’s mark will confuse the public as to the origin of the products and contradicts Trademarks Law and international conventions.
In response, we submitted counter-arguments based on the following:
- Lack of alleged similarity between both marks;
- Our client has a prior right for using the mark “Nosor Baladna” in Qatar;
- Our client has prior registrations for “Nosor Baladna” in 80 countries around the world since 2001, and
- The opponent filed an opposition against our client’s application in the U.A.E. and it was not granted.
The Registrar accepted our counter-statement and issued a decision rejecting the opposition raised by Baladna Company for Animal Products and allowed our application for Nosor Baladna to register.
For further details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.