On 26 March 2003 Syria became the 120th country that joins the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT). This Treaty became effective as of 26 June 2003.
Accordingly, applicants can now designate Syria (as SY) in any international application. Syria can also be designated for International Preliminary Examination according to Chapter 2 of the Treaty.
To enter the national phase of a PCT application in Syria, the following documents are required:
- Power of attorney duly legalized up to the Syrian Consulate.
- Deed of assignment if the applicant entering the national phase is other than the applicant who filed the international application duly legalized by the Syrian Consulate.
- Specifications, claims, abstract and drawings in English with Arabic translation.
- PCT Application designating Syria.
- International Search Report.
- International Preliminary Examination Report.
- International Publication Sheet.