RIYADH – The Saudi Authority for Intellectual Property (SAIP) announced the launch of the service of registering collective marks that include geographical indications, in light of its desire to regulate the area of intellectual property in line with international best practices and to contribute to enhancing the competitiveness of the local economy.
SAIP also clarified that geographical indication collective marks can be registered for products that have a specific geographical origin and characteristics or reputation attributed to that origin, expressing that their registration as collective marks contributes to distinguishing the geographical origin, materials, or method of manufacture or other common characteristics of goods or services provided.
It is required to include the following along with the trademark application:
- Power of attorney, legalised;
- The exact description of the trademark;
- Certified copy of the bylaws of the union or organisation requesting the registration, with its amendments;
- An indication of the persons entitled to use the mark and their relationship with the applicant, and
- A legalised affidavit that the applicant (organisation) will closely monitor the use of such mark by its affiliate members and an explanation on how members are qualified for membership in the organisation.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.