|OUR CLIENT’S REGISTERED MARK||CITED MARK|
CAIRO – Our client, Bal Du Moulin Rouge, a French company (media producer, manufacturer, and service provider), is the owner of the famous trademark MOULIN ROUGE, registered in several iterations worldwide, including Egypt, in a variety of International Classes, including International Class 30 since 1979.
It came to our attention that on 7 September 2018, an application for registration was published in the Official Gazette number 937 in Egypt for “Moulin rouge” in English and Arabic characters in International Class 30 under number 0261802, owned by a local manufacturer.
Acting on behalf of our client, we filed an opposition against the cited mark based on the following:
- The exact spelling and pronunciation of the literal element “Moulin Rouge”;
- The prior registration and the prior use of “Moulin Rouge” by our client worldwide since 1979, and in Egypt since 2010;
- Our client’s use of its brand extensively worldwide, making it a well-known mark;
- The applicant’s motive to take advantage of the popularity and the fame of our client’s well-known trademark for a commercial purpose;
- That confusion amongst customers is likely to occur due to the notoriety of our client’s mark;
- Our client’s commercial name consists of the word MOULIN ROUGE; thus, the registration of the same by a third party is not allowed according to Trademark Law in Egypt, and
- Allowing the registration of “Moulin rouge” contradicts the International Conventions and will mislead and confuse consumers.
The Registrar reviewed our statement and issued its favourable decision to halt the registration procedure for the challenged mark and remove it from the registry.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.