ABU DHABI – The Trademarks and Intellectual Works Department of the Ministry of Economy (the Department) has, through a circular dated 24 March 2021, introduced some changes to the trademark practice as well as a new set of online services through its web portal.
The late filing of a power of attorney (PoA) is now possible. Agents can file a trademark application without initially submitting the PoA at the time of filing. The PoA, however, must be provided within thirty (30) days from the date of filing the application without additional official fees, otherwise, the application will be deemed as lapsed. The same rule applies to trademark renewals and assignments.
Additionally, in the case of filing a trademark application with a priority claim, it is possible to provide the priority document within three (3) months from the filing date without an extra official fee.
New Online Services:
Applicants and agents can conduct the following transactions via the Ministry’s website:
- Cancellation of a trademark mortgage;
- Cancellation of a trademark license agreement;
- The partial or full cancellation of a trademark by the applicant, as per Article 20 of the Trademark Law;
- Submission pf a PoA after filing a trademark application;
- Submission of a priority document after filing a trademark application, and
- Filing a trademark infringement complaint.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.