TRIPOLI – The Minister of Commerce and Trade issued Regulation No. 26 in 2024 regarding the trademark practice in Libya.
The main aspects of the new regulation are as follows:
- Introduction of provisions to register and protect sound marks
- Electronic publication of the accepted applications
- Opposition period shortened from 60 days to 30 days
- Adoption of the 11th Edition of Nice Classification
- New increased official fees
- Trademark protection is restricted to the trademark as applied for, i.e., Applications consisting of a black-and-white trademark will only protect the black-and-white version of the mark and will not extend to other coloured versions of the brand. The applied-for mark must be identical to the mark in use
This Decree was published on 17 January 2024 and will go into effect 30 days from the date of publication.
You can find a copy of the regulation here.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.