H. Iqbal Food Industry, a Pakistani manufacturer, filed a trademark application for “METRO” in class 30 under number 275477 on 7 December 2009, the application published on 1 April 2010.
Acting on behalf of our client, Yildiz Holding Inc., a Turkish manufacturer, we submitted an opposition against the above trademark application based on the following:
- Our client is the true owner of the mark;
- Our client had a prior application for the trademark filed on 18 April 2002, pending registration (registration procedures in Pakistan takes a long time before issuing the final certificate of registration);
- Prior use of “Metro” by our client began decades ago;
- Prior registrations of “Metro” by our client worldwide; and
- The defendant’s trademark is identical to our client’s trademark, and can lead to a likelihood of confusion to the consumers as to the source of the products bearing that mark if allowed to register.
Considering the above, and after reviewing our argument, the Trademark Registrar accepted our opposition and issued a decision to halt the registration procedure of the pending application.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.