BAGHDAD – This is to inform you that the Trademark Registrar has issued new regulations regarding the procedures of certain trademark transactions, effective since 3 March 2016, as follows:
- When submitting applications for recordal of assignment, change of name and address, and merger, original copies of the required documents should accompany the application;
- A grace period of six months from the filing date is allowed for the late filing of the power of attorney with respect to new trademark applications;
- It is no longer required to provide transliteration for Non-Arabic trademarks. This will not affect previously filed applications, meaning that publication of pending applications will include the transliteration of the mark; additionally, renewal of expired trademarks will show the transliteration on the renewal certificate;
- Applicants are required to submit an examination request for each mark in each class (even if the mark is filed as multi-class application) after payment of the prescribed fees. The examination result is expected to be issued within 10 days from the date of the payment of the examination fees, and
- The Registrar will inform the applicant if any sub-class gets refused.
Should you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.