|OUR CLIENT’S MARK||OPPONENT’S MARK|
RABAT – We filed a trademark application for registration on 23 September 2014 on behalf of our client, Skyworth Group Co, Ltd, for SKYWORTH in classes 7, 9 and 11. The application was published in the Official Gazette on 13 November 2014, which opened the 60-day opposition period.
Sky International AG filed an opposition against our client’s application challenging class 9 based on similarities of said trademark with the following registered trademarks in Morocco in class 9:
- SKY number 828572 dated 16 July 2003;
- SKY NEWS ARABIA number 1089909 dated 12 January 2011;
- SKY SPORT number 828571 dated 16 July 2003, and
- SKY NEWS number 828574 dated 16 July 2003.
We submitted a counter statement based on the following:
- Our client maintains a prior registration under registration number 868420 in Morocco in class 9 since 2010;
- Said prior registration is registered in several countries around the world;
- Skyworth is not similar to “Sky” in terms of pronunciation and general appearance, and
- The word “Sky” is a commonly used word and should not be monopolized by one entity.
The Registrar reviewed our counterstatement and ruled in-favor of our client’s, and allowed Skyworth to register under number 162215.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.