We filed an application for registration on behalf of our Client, YILDIZ HOLDING ANONIM SIRKETI, a Turkish company, in Palestine for HALLEY on 25 June 2015 in class 30 under number 27208. The application was published in the Official Gazette on 15 December 2015 subject to the opposition period of 3 months.
A Saudi Arabian company, under the name of Abdullah Al Othaim Markets, filed an opposition against our client’s application on the basis of:
- Being a well-known company in terms of commercialising food products;
- Being the owner of the registered trademarks “Haley” in Latin and Arabic characters in classes 21, 29, 30, 31, and 32;
- Prior registration of “Haley” in the home country and abroad since 2003;
- Claiming their mark “Haley” as a well-known trademark, and
- Commercialising their products under the trademark “Haley” on their website, which is known to consumers worldwide.
We filed a counter statement based on:
- Our client is also a worldwide, well-known, company established in 1989;
- Our client is the owner of the registered trademark “HALLEY” in Turkey and worldwide in classes 29 and 30 since 1993;
- The trademark “HALLEY” is well-known worldwide, and customers now associates this brand with our client’s company, and
- The trademark is widely used worldwide and namely in Palestine.
After reviewing the matter, the Registrar issued its decision in our favour by denying the opposition and allowing HALLEY to register.
Should you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.